What is Ads.txt?
Ads.txt is a simple, flexible, and secure method for publishers and distributors to declare who is authorized to sell their inventory, improving transparency for programmatic buyers.Ads.txt supports transparent programmatic digital media transactions and can remove the financial incentive from selling counterfeit and misrepresented media. Similar to robots.txt, ads.txt can only be posted to a domain by a publisher’s webmaster, making it valid and authentic. As a text file, ads.txt is easy to update, making it flexible. The data required to populate the file is readily available in the OpenRTB protocol, making it simple to gather and target. And because publishers sell their inventory through a variety of sales channels, ads.txt supports the following types of supplier relationships:
- Domain owners who sell on exchanges through their own accounts
- Networks and sales houses who programmatically sell on behalf of domain owners
- Content syndication partnerships where multiple authorized sellers represent the same inventory
Hosting the Ads.txt file:
Your Ads.txt file should be placed on the root level of your domain. For example, if your domain is mydomain.com, you should place the ads.txt file here: mydomain.com/ads.txt.
- The file must be on the root level of the domain
- The file must be a .txt file extension
- The file must have Read permissions set to World
- The file must follow the IAB format
Keeping Existing Partners If you are keeping existing Ad Partners and would like to keep the contents of your ads.txt, you can simply add our Ads.txt file text (more info below), to the bottom of your existing Ads.txt file
Playwire Ads.txt file
There are 4 different Ads.txt files we can provide for our Publishers. For COPPA Compliant sites, use the Playwire COPPA Ads.txt file. Otherwise, you use the Playwire Ads.txt file. We also have a Playwire Video ONLY Ads.txt file for our Trendi video publishers. For our application partners, use the Playwire App Ads.txt file. *Please note: if your site already has an ads.txt file, just add our lines to the end of your file.
- Contact your Playwire Account Manager to discuss the process in detail
- After confirming your site with Playwire, you will have to add the ads.txt file to your site
- After adding the file to your site, contact your Playwire Account Manager to validate the file
** 2 Ways to Implement Ads.txt for your site:
- Playwire Hosted Ads.txt: Steps are outlined below; put simply, the Publisher sets up a redirect to a Playwire ads.txt file hosted on Playwire servers. The upfront work is more involved, but once configured you will never have to update the file. Additionally, the Publisher has the ability to add their own lines to the ads.txt file via Playwires’ Ads.txt Manager. Link to article
- Self Host Ads.txt: (This article) This setup involves the Publisher adding the Playwire Ads.txt file on your own self hosted server.